23 March, 2016

My Little Pony Makeover


This was my last selfie as a blondie - eek!
I have wanted to dye my hair a crazy colour for years! Blonde wasn't fitting anymore, I'd tried brunette & just looked washed out thanks to my ghostly white skin so I needed something different. When I discovered Not Another Salon on Instagram one fine day I knew they were the guys for the job.

Created by top hair stylist Sophia Hilton, the salon prides themselves on their 'No Judgement' policy, which is what it says on the tin basically - no judgement, no funny business, just professional no-nonsense hair care. Perfect! I booked myself in about a month back & have been bouncing around with excitement ever since. When the day finally came last Saturday, I think I almost peed my pants.


The salon itself is a dream - all white walls but with rainbow coloured accents everywhere. I was told the string art on the walls was done by Sophia herself & I couldn't help but be reminded of strobe lights in some techno rave. Even cooler than the decor was the drinks list. A selection of fancy tea mixed with proper builders tea or you could even have a shandy! I thought best to stick to water considering I was due to be in the salon ALL day (hair makeovers take time ya know!)


Once I was sat in the chair I explained to the stylist, Annie that I was probably the most indecisive client she'll ever meet & because of this, she basically had free reign with my hair. I suggested the colours & she came up with the rest, starting with a full head of bleach.


Is it bad I kind of liked this ice blue colour of the bleach? Once this was washed off however I was a peroxide nightmare, resembling Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Thankfully that look didn't last long as Annie then brought over my colours.


Lets take a moment to appreciate that photo above please. Not only the dye itself, but the adorable colour co-ordinating pots & brushes. That shit does wonders for my OCD.


As Annie started to apply the colour to my hair, it all suddenly became very real. My blonde locks were gone! Crap. No backing out now! She created a perfect blend of the 3 colours by applying them separately to sections of my hair & then running her fingers through.


Sitting in front of the mirror after was so surreal & I'm pretty sure I spend the whole of my cut & blowdry smiling like a bloody idiot, like a fat kid at cake (Mmm, I could eat some cake right now...).




After 5 hours, my hair was transformed & I could not be any happier! I mean, look at it - that fade, those beautiful peachy pink tones, that soft wave. I've been called a mermaid, a princess & a My Little Pony since debuting the new 'do, ugh what a dream. So to finish I'd just like to say a huge thank you to everyone at Not Another Salon, particularly to Annie, you absolutely superstar you! I don't think I'll ever return to being blonde. I'm already planning my next creative colour look - I'm thinking turquoise...