19 October, 2016

5 Tips for Successful Vintage & Charity Shopping


I don't know what was so interesting on the dirty floor...

Like most people on planet Earth, I love a bargain but I also get a thrill out of owning a piece of clothing that I know half the populaton isn't also going to have, eg. I've one of those biker jackets from Zara - you know, they came in bubblegum pink, baby blue, mustard. They were released in May/June, sold out pretty quickly & are crazy popular. With me? Well I love my pastel pink biker, I do, HOWEVER! Whenever I wear it at least 5 girls will ask me if it's from Zara 'cause guess what?! They have it too. (If you're still not sure what jacket I'm on about then pull your head out of the sand & click here to jump on the bandwagon)

I know fashion is followed & statement pieces like this or Gucci loafers will be loved & adored by everyone but sometimes it's nice to be different, you know? Oh Jesus, I hate to admit it but maybe this is the hipster child inside of me coming out. I just don't enjoy looking like a clone of every other 20-something girl out there. I'll never be able to pull off baseball caps & Fenty sliders. Not saying that those who do don this look are in the wrong but simply put, it's just not me. I'm much happier in a vintage piece like this Sassy World dress.


Moving swiftly onto my top tips now (for fear of offending with my anti-Yeezy outlook) - follow this handy hints & you'll be sure to have luck in the minefield that is vintage & charity store shopping:

1. Be prepared to rummage.

Vintage & charity clothing shops are not usually organised. With charity ones in particular, you have to remember that the workers are usually volunteers & there's few & far between them. They don't have 20 odd floorwalkers going around spacing the items on the rails so you'll need to search. Don't take this as a negative though as it often means that there's a sneakily hidden gem stuffed at the back of the Menswear section.


2. Sack off the sizing labels.

Clothing measurements have changed drastically over the years so may find that if you're usually a UK 10, a vintage item in this size won't fit. Don't worry though as this definitely doesn't mean you've put on 10lbs! I tend to go with what my eyes tell me, "does it look like I can actually fit into that?" Not sure? Then try it on! I'll never understand some people's hatred with changing rooms. Particularly with charity & vintage stores, most of them don't allow returns so if it doesn't fit, well you're screwed. Most reputable online vendors will have the specific measurements of items too so be sure to check these out too.


3. Don't be ripped off by "vintage" pricing.

In charity shops you should be fine however in vintage stores, some will definitely overprice their items. Just because it's in a vintage store doesn't mean it was owned directly by Nancy, the go-go dancer from the 60s, so don't add an extra £20 to the price please. Make sure to ask yourself "would I usually pay this much for a *enter product here* or am I paying for the 'vintage' label?" If the latter then put it down & walk away. There's plenty of vintage stores out there that aren't overcharging & plenty more charity shops were your money will go to a kinder cause.


4. Vintage Fairs aka Treasure Troves.

If you've never been to a vintage fair then you're seriously missing out. It's best to get there early before it's crazy busy & of course, to get first pick. Always take cash as 99.9% of individual vendors aren't going to have a wireless card machine. I've always been really lucky at fairs with jewellery & designer pieces so keep an eye out for labels. I'll never forget the moment I found a sequinned Chloe vest & a Jaeger blouson-sleeved blouse on the same rail - I literally thought I was going to pass out (okay, maybe not literally but I enjoy being over dramatic). A quick Google search will show you a list of upcoming fairs in your area or failing that, there's always Portobello Market.


5. Finally but most importantly: Pay no attention to primp & proper preconceptions.

We all know there are people out there who look down their noses at charity shops but these are the worst kind of people & you don't need their negativity in your life. Some of my favourite items have been found in Oxfam & when people ask where they're from I have no fear with proudly stating so. Is it sick that I actually enjoy watching people grimace or stare back in shock sometimes? It's a kind reminder that I'm clearly less judgemental than they are *grins smugly*. Honestly though, I always believe that if you like something (or someone!), regardless of where, what, who, when then go for it! You'll forever kick yourself if you don't.


To encourage you all with your bargain hunting, here's a couple of my favourite online vintage avenues:

Sassy World
Rokit
Beyond Retro
ASOS Marketplace
Oxfam
We Are Cow

Outfit details:
Dress - Sassy World
Trainers - Converse @ Office (they're even in the sale right now!)
Denim Shirt - ASOS Marketplace (check their full selection here)